The Temptation of Induction

At my 38 week appointment this week my doctor informed me that I could opt to be induced anytime starting at the end of this week.  Here was his sales pitch “You check in the hospital at 6am, have the baby around lunch time and you bring your baby home with you the next day.”  He made it sound easier than dropping your car off to get serviced. 

As tempting as his offer was, Ed and I decided to turn it down for the time being.  From the research I’ve done, I’ve found that there is no benefit to the baby to induce at this point.  The only benefit is convenience for us and the doctor.  I also found out that the use of c-sections doubles with inductions.  Not only would a c-section kill my spring snowboarding plans, it would also make the next few months very difficult.

Maybe my thoughts of being induced will change over the next week or so, but for now I’m just going to let nature run its course and hope this baby comes when he is ready.  We can discuss induction again AFTER we’ve passed the 40 week mark, but until then I’ll just keep waiting anxiously!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The Temptation of Induction

  1. Nancy says:

    great decision Kim … good luck!!! anxiously awaiting for Baby Paff 🙂

    • Toni Busch says:

      What the heck! these darn doctors just want you to have your baby when it is convenient for them!! Let the baby come when HE wants to come. I was two weeks overdue, and unfortunately had to be induced and had a c-section. Do it the natural way as much as possible, you won’t regret it! Good Luck!!

Leave a Reply